On the 25th April 2012 the majority of the licensing changes set out in the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act (PRSA) 2011 came into force. The Home Office have released updated guidance in view of the changes.
Download the Amended guidance Issued under section 182 of the licensing act 2003 and supplementary guidance:
- Licensing authorities as responsible authorities - preliminary guidance
- Suspension for non-payment of fees - preliminary guidance
The measures set out in the PRSA include:
- doubling the fine for persistent underage sales to £20,000
- introducing a late night levy to help cover the cost of policing the late night economy
- increasing the flexibility of early morning alcohol restriction orders
- lowering the evidential threshold on licensing authorities
- removing the vicinity test for licensing representations to allow wider local community involvement
- reforming the system of temporary event notices (TENs)
- suspension of premises licences due to non-payment of annual fees
The late night levy, early morning alcohol restriction orders and locally set fees measures will be brought in at a later date of either October 2012 or April 2013 according to the Home Office.
A list of Home Office factsheets on the licensing changes are available.